Friday, September 15, 2023

MS sailor steers DDG into Ingalls

Navy ships travel all over the world, housing and protecting service members from across America. 

For one of those sailors, home isn’t far away. 

Navy Lt. Mark Humes, a Pascagoula native, had the honor of steering USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) into HII Ingalls' shipyard. Humes serves aboard DDG 1000 as a strike officer. The ship arrived in Pascagoula in August after leaving San Diego. 

“From Japan to Mexico, I’ve taken this ship all around the world,” Humes told WLOX. “However, there’s no better feeling than bringing it to my hometown. My parents got to see me drive the ship. I don’t know if they’ll ever get a chance to see that again.”

The ship will enter a modernization period and receive technology upgrades while at Ingalls. USS Zumwalt sailor returns home to Pascagoula (wlox.com)

No comments: