Saturday, March 10, 2018

NAS Meridian’s Dr. Seuss


MERIDIAN, Miss. - Naval Air Station Meridian’s Public Works Department Contracting Officer Jason Clayton brightened the faces of school children during a week-long celebration of Dr. Seuss' birthday March 2. "I've been doing it for about four years now," said Clayton. "It started with my daughter and son's daycare." Dr. Seuss' birthday is typically set aside by schools to celebrate reading. "I've worked with the four- and five-year-old kids at my church for several years, and I've learned that children get distracted easily," he continued. "So, I figured instead of just going up there and reading, I would paint my face to get into the spirit of the thing, maybe hold their attention a little better. The teachers and kids have loved it. The daycare is an extension of Clayton's church and word of his extracurricular activity has gotten around. Lamar Elementary asked Clayton to visit two years ago. "I decided this was getting to be a bigger deal than t-shirt and jeans, so I ordered a 'Cat in the Hat' costume and wore it," said Clayton. Last year, they invited him back, and put him at the front door of the school. I read to anyone that came in the door, kindergarten through 5th grade." "(I)t just gives everyone something special to see; a change from their typical day," he said. "The smaller kids come up and hug me … As for me, I love the look in the children's faces.” (Source: NAS Meridian 03/09/18)

No comments: